The trends about makeup is increasing more and more, and according to Business Wire, there was a $460 billion spent on cosmetics in 2014. There is anticipation that these numbers will continue to rise by a yearly rate of 3.8%. There are many different beauty products and the social media is overtaken by it. This shows that we are makeup junkies.
For the purpose of enhancing the features which are attractive, people have started wearing makeup at least 5,000 years ago. They also tried to hide the signs of wrinkles. However, makeup can become an issue because it can crate psychological dependence.
One study carried out by The Renfrew Center Foundation concluded that 44% of the women said they felt not attractive without makeup. But the issue does not end here as scientists, consumers, and medical practitioners are concerned with how makeup affects the physical health.
What is the danger of makeup products?
There is a great number of chemicals contained in makeup, and some of them can be very dangerous to your health as they interact with the skin, causing it to dry, flak, and cause allergic reactions. The chemicals penetrate the deeper layers of the skin, entering the bloodstream, and if they are toxic, then their exposure will increase the health risks.
One study which has been published in the Journal of Archeological Science discovered that the bones of children in Japan from the Edo period contained levels of toxic metals which has been 12 times higher than the safety threshold. This was due to the use of white facial powder by breastfeeding women which contained dangerous levels of mercury and lead.
A 1991 study collected samples of kohl eye makeup from the third-world countries and many of them showed to have dangerous levels of lead.
Nowadays, things do not differ that much. A study which has been released by Breast Cancer Fund discovered that almost half of the children’s makeup for Halloween contains banned and harmful chemicals. But, most of these chemicals were found at low levels and thus should not adverse health results.
Makeup can be bad for the skin and those who want to get rid of acne are in dilemma whether or not to wear makeup since it clogs the pores.
Harmful chemicals found by the BCF study
- Cadmium – this is a soft and blush-white metal which is connected to cancer, bone disease, and kidney failure. This ingredient becomes toxic at the levels below the limits which have been set forth by the WHO. Cadmium is contained in Estee Lauder, Jafra Cosmetics, l’Oreal, Yves Rocher, Revlon, Proctor and Gamble, Mary Kay, and Jabe & Co in powder eye shadows, cream eye shadows, foundations, and eye primers.
- Talc – this mineral is used in powder makeup like blush, pressed powder foundation, and also lip foundation. It is often contaminated with asbestos, a known carcinogen. Many studies have connected it to ovarian cancer. It can be found in baby powders, and can also be present in deodorants. Facemasks, lipsticks, powdered foundations and eye shadows, and feminine hygiene products.
- Lead – it is present in many makeup products especially those with more pigment like eyeliners, lipstick, eye shadows, and foundation. Once lead enter the bloodstream it may cause neurological disorders, and may also cause cancer and infertility. It is used in lip products like lipsticks, lip glosses, and lip liners, hair dyes, mascaras, eye shadows, foundations, and blushes. According to the FDA’s testing, there was lead found in almost each tested products, except for the baby powder and most lotions.
- Parabens – these chemicals are added to products in order to prevent overgrowth of bacteria. They disrupt the endocrine system. Further concerns have been risen when the presence of these chemicals in breast cancer tissue. Paraben is used in perfumes and colognes, shower gels, lotions, conditioners, shampoos, and shower gels.
- Benzophenones – they are used in foundations against UV light. It may cause allergic reactions like skin rashes and anaphylactic shock. It can be found in lip balms, foundations nail polish, baby sunscreens, hairspray, conditioner, shampoo, and fragrances.
- Toluene – this paint-thinner damages the nervous system and may cause neurological disorders like dementia. It can be found in several nail products and some hair dyes.
These chemicals do not come in amounts which can cause adverse health results, but their chronic exposure may be reasons for concern. Read the labels carefully and reduce the amount of makeup use in order to protect your health.
There is a raise in natural beauty products recently as the consumers have become quite health conscious. Such products are Josie Maran Cosmetics, ILIA, Dr. Hauschka, Physicians Formula, and many more. You can also practice makeup-free days in order to reduce the exposure of harmful chemicals which can be lurking in the best makeup products. Also, buy makeup from reputable companies which sell clinically-tested products because they contain harmful ingredients.